+91-11-39595119, +91-9910048755
Close
Book Your Appointment
011-39595119 / +91 9910048755
SURGERY FOR DIABETES

Metabolic Surgery for Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease affecting almost every organ of the body. It might happen either due to decreased production of insulin or increased resistance to insulin in the body.

It has emerged in epidemic proportions all over the world. It has become a major health hazard and is the main cause of premature illness, kidney and heart diseases and even blindness, ulcers and amputations, worldwide.

The treatment of diabetes involves, lifestyle changes, diet control and certain drugs and insulin therapy. Inspite of best of the treatments, patients do not achieve good glycemic control which results in ongoing and slow damage to blood vessels, kidneys, heart, brain and eyes.

Metabolic Surgery for Diabetes

These days metabolic surgery for diabetes has emerged as a proven tool for resolution or control of type 2 diabetes. As many as 80% of people suffering from type 2 diabetes have experienced complete resolution of disease after undergoing metabolic surgery. The remaining 20% have experienced benefits in terms of reduction of the amount, quantity and frequency of drugs. There have been reduction in the need for insulin injections as well.

There are certain defined criteria which has been identified by international diabetes federation, the largest governing body in the world for Diabetes and related diseases to choose patients who are eligible for this surgery. Other organisations that endorse this surgery are American Heart Association and The American Diabetes Association.

This surgery is done laparoscopically (through key holes). There are no drains and bandages in most of the cases. A person is fit to go back home in a day or two post-surgery. There are some special procedures for patients suffering from diabetes which are independent of BMI.Ileal interposition and duodenojejunal bypass are 2 such surgeries designed for this. They can achieve good control of diabetes in more than 80% of patients.

Having said that , this surgery should be done only in specialied centers where this is done routinely by adequately trained and expert surgeons . Thus it gives a permanent cure to this traditionally regarded as a progressive, unrelenting disease called Diabetes.

Phase I Clear Liquid Diet
  • Only clear liquids allowed
  • Avoid sweetened beverages
  • Sip very slowly
  • No straws
  • Avoid caffeinated, carbonated and alcoholic beverages
  • STOP drinking if you feel fullness, pain or discomfort
Awards & Achievements
Behind every brilliant performance there were countless hours of practice and preparation.
  • Awward
  • Awward Awward
  • Awward